NORTON CITY SCHOOLS
POLICY JED-R SUMMARY REGARDING ATTENDANCE
RE: Policy JED-R
- Once daily attendance is taken, parents of absent students receive an all-call through our automated messaging system to the contact number the division has on file to notify them that their child has not arrived at school by 8:20 am.
- If you are NOT receiving these calls, please update parent contact information in parent portal or call the school to give updated contact information.
- Parents are REQUIRED to submit documentation for ALL ABSENCES to their child’s respective school.
o Excused absences (EA) include
- Medical excuses from Doctor’s office—parent’s responsibility to obtain from Dr.
- Court appointments—parent’s responsibility to obtain from the court
- Death in the family—Parent must submit written note to front office
- Religious activity—Parent must submit written note to front office
- School Activity—Documented in system by school
- Parent note, email, and/or phone call that child was sick
- NCS will accept up to 7 additional parent notes/school per year as excused
- The 8th additional parent note and beyond will be considered unexcused
- Family trips during school days must receive PRIOR ADMIN APPROVAL; family trips not receiving prior approval will be considered unexcused
- Administration may excuse other absences due to extenuating circumstances for students considered in good standing academically and no excessive absences
o Unexcused absences (UA) include
- Any absence that was avoidable and/or unnecessary
- Any absence with unsatisfactory documentation—see above
- Any absence that is not followed up with a note/email/documentation or parent phone call
- School suspensions
- Other absences beyond 7 parent notes without proper documentation
- After 5 UA, the division Attendance Officer will message the parent via messaging app to the phone/email supplied by the parent. This serves as the Court’s required 5-day notice, informs the parent of the number of UA on file for the student, requests documentation for ALL UA and is documented in the student’s file. Undeliverable messages due to insufficient contact information on file will be documented. If no documentation is provided and/or the student accumulates additional UA, the Attendance Officer will proceed with the next steps, which may include (Per Norton City School Policy):
o Scheduling a parent conference with or without the student’s presence
o Filing court charges on parent and/or student if UA continue to accumulate
o Filing court charges on parent and/or student when communication efforts have failed due to insufficient contact information.